By now, I’m sure you’ve seen the below image scattered around my blog and Instagram! Here’s this easy and straight-forward recipe with my modifications declared. I did take a longer time as I was not in a rush, on snail’s mode now. Also, works as a future reference 😉
This portion was sliced into 10 slices which lasted us a total of 4 servings (2 of us took 5 slices over 2 days) but we are small eaters!
Prep Time: 30mins (I was chilling!) | Bake Time: 40mins Total Waiting Time (before Eating): 1hr 10mins
Ingredients for 4 Servings
- 2 Cups of Sifted Plain(all-purpose) Flour
- 1 Cup Mashed Bananas (we used 5 Rastali Bananas)
- 1/2 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Cinnamon Powder (Optional)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1/2 Cup Low-Fat Plain Yoghurt
- 1/2 Vegetable or Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 Utensils + 1 Oven Needed
Sift (if you have to sift the Flour), 2 Mixing Bowls – 1 Large and 1 Medium, 1 Wooden Ladle for mixing flour, 1 Whisk or fork (to beat eggs) and 1 Loaf Pan (or similar)!
Let’s do this
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees (338 Fahrenheit). You can do this at the start or 5-10mins before putting the loaf mixture in!
- Mix flour, mashed banana, brown sugar, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cinnamon into a mixing bowl and stir it up! It’ll be a dry and clumpy mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs with the yogurt and oil. You need to make sure it’s an even mixture and that the oil and yogurt are not separate layers here!
- Combine the mixtures by pouring the 2nd mixture (eggs etc) into the flour mixture and mix it up again. Initially the egg mixture might look alot but as you stir it with the flour, you’ll get a gooey-like mixture!
- Pour the batter out into a loaf pan (or any other baking pan shapes). Make sure the pan is greased with olive oil or butter (unsalted for a healthier option).
- Put it in the oven and bake for 40mins or when golden brown on the top. Check with a skewer – when it’s fully baked by poking the centre and comes out clean 😉
Disclaimer: Original Recipe can be found in Heart-Healthy Snacks, by Dr Jehanne Ali. Changes made from Original are the following: the inclusion of Cinnamon Powder, Sugar reduced from 3/4 Cup to 1/2 Cup and option to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil.